Dear Students & Families of BHS,
It is such an honor to send you this letter as the new principal of Bayfield High School. As the beginning of the 2022-2023 school year gets closer I am increasingly excited about the great things happening at BHS. As a staff, there will be familiar faces in new positions, and new faces in familiar positions this year, and I believe that we have the right people on the team to make BHS a great place to learn for our students. With the adoption of the new four day calendar our staff will be using Continuous Improvement frameworks to guide our work on the Fridays we are together. Our time will be solution focused and student centered allowing for much needed teacher collaboration and work time. We are truly grateful for this new calendar and will be sharing our learning with the greater school community as we move through the school year.
We have many projects in the works at BHS that will be a direct benefit to our students through innovative learning opportunities. Aside from the many great courses available from the talented staff at BHS (BHS Course Catalog) we are expanding to the list through local partnerships. The new Friday Academy at PCC - Bayfield begins this fall. We are also developing a robust Work Based Learning program that will assist students in finding pathways that lead to related and relevant work placement opportunities. And we continue to grow our Concurrent Enrollment programs with PCC and Fort Lewis College.
With all of this work, and much more already in the pipeline we are gearing up for a very successful school year. Here are a few things I wanted to make sure you were aware of as you prepare for the start of the school year.
- Freshmen Only Day: Monday August 15th, 7:45 -3:50. Bus transportation, school breakfast and lunch will be provided.
- First day of school: Tuesday August 16th, 7:45 - 3:50
- School Picture Day: Wednesday August 17th - details to follow in Wolverine Press.
- BHS Bell Schedule
- BSD Official Calendar: Please note there are two weeks in the school year that we shift to a Monday off to observe federal holidays.
- BHS Student & Parent Handbook
- Transportation: Please contact our District Transportation Services to inquire about the bus routes and pick up/drop off times.
- School lunches are no longer free for all students beginning in the 2022-2023 school year. Please see our District Nutrition Services office’s website for more information. New prices for students: Breakfast - $2.00; Lunch - $3.25. School Cafe August Lunch Menu
- Immunization: please see our District Health Services website for the most up to date information.
- Student Parking: Please use this link to read through student parking registration and expectations. Use this link to register your vehicle for a parking permit as well as for submitting Senior Parking Space Painting drafts!
We are very excited to partner with you and have a few things scheduled that will give us an opportunity to meet each other and for you to become more familiar with programs at BHS. Please consider participating in the following activities:
- BHS Open House: Come meet our team and hear from us about our vision for BHS, learn more about our curriculum and program opportunities for students. Wednesday August 10th, 4:30 - 6:00 pm
- Wolverine Academy Open House: Come see and learn about our Alternative High School program. Thursday August 11th from 4:00 - 5:30 pm at 658 S. East Street in Bayfield. Newly housed in the modular classrooms.
We will continue to communicate throughout the year using our BHS website, Facebook page, Swift alerts and the weekly newsletter - The Wolverine Press. Please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions. I look forward to a wonderful year ~ Go Wolverines!
Amy Miglinas, Ed.S.